Tuesday, August 22, 2006

And now for the wind up to Fall OCI and our OCI process

The list of firms coming has been out for a few weeks, and I spent last weekend carefully looking at each firm and yea'ing or nay'ing them. (important interuption, should I be concerned that it smells like something is burning? I'm in the library?) Anyway, I've got a good pile that I want to apply to. And just to make things fun and interesting, there are a couple of firms with offices in London that will take law grads straight out of school.

I've lived overseas slightly longer than a 1/3 of my life and loved it. In fact, my first major live over seas moment was when I was my daughter's age now. I've always thought that raising my daughter for several years overseas would be a good thing. it helps to give a person perspective. And in London, she would have it easy with the language. The only serious drawback is how bloody (practicing, just in case) expensive it is to live there. Still, it won't hurt to apply.

So back to the normal jobs. I was actually surprised by a couple of the firms in my current city. They sound rather progressive and are focused on areas of the law that I salivate over. Happy happy. Joy joy. I also want to do some nalp searches for a couple of specific cities and see what I can find to apply to the old-fashioned way.

I am not looking forward to the time that it takes to interview or even just write cover letters to all of the firms. But I am looking forward to getting a job. Hopefully.

From Kristine's post, it seems like not all schools do OCI the same way? I don't know why this surprises me. At our school, you get a list of employers coming. You make a package for each of them and turn them into the career office on the appointed day. Just for funsies and to make sure they drive you all the way to the looney bin. They give you 4 "preference" stickers. You can attach them to any 4 packages. This is so that firms know you really are serious about them. However, you only get 4. And you've got a bazillion packages. It's kind of obnoxious really. And the most fun interview question is "so why didn't you preference us?" Then you get notified if the firm picked you for an interview and you have to dash to the online scheduler and make your appointment before everyone else or you end up interviewing at 7 am or the last interview of the day. The firms come to school for about 3 weeks. So you might have 4 interviews Wed, none Thurs, one Fri, none next week, and so on. It sounds like at Kristine's school they try to compact it all and get it done before school starts. Would that it

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My school compacts OCI into the two weeks before classes start. It's a pain, really. Also, our system of getting interviews is completely different, mostly because we have a totally lotteried system. We bid on employers, rank our bids, the lottery runs and you get interviews based on your rankings compared to everyone else's rankings. Employers don't pick who they want to interview, etc., though it's not unknown for a firm to contact someone who didn't get an interview but who they've maybe heard from before and encourage them to catch the interviewer on a break or between time slots.

I got lucky--I don't have more than three interviews in given day. But one guy I know had EIGHT yesterday. EIGHT. Gag, I wouldn't even remember the names of the firms after four.