Tuesday, July 19, 2005

More book reviews and a revelation

I picked up Law School Confidential from my library and gave it a partial read. Honestly, anything pertaining to 2nd year, I skimmed. I figure I've got to survive first year first. It wasn't bad. Although I don't really think it was useful to waste ink telling me to get a good bed.

I actually liked their briefing schpiel. I'm not a big highlighter person, but it really broke down each piece of what I need to know, and I liked that. But that was about it. I didn't really feel like the book spoke to me, the kind of student that I am.

I reread The Order of the Phoenix this weekend to refresh my memory of what happened before I read the new book. I actually liked Oop better this time around. The first time I really didn't enjoy it at all. But I kind of liked it this time. I think Harry's moodiness put me off the first time. But for whatever reason it didn't bother me this time around. I didn't liked that Sirius died. I wanted Harry to have some connection to his past that was meaningful. But this time around I thought that it was fitting for Sirius to go. It just didn't seem like his life was going to be very meaningful hiding out in that nasty house. I dunno. Just my impression this time around.

And I just finished the new Harry Snotter. I won't say much about it for the sake of those who haven't read it all the way through yet. I loved it. I really did. It was much better than the last one, which now seems like a "set up" book for this book. I liked how quickly this book moved. I liked that it was 200 fewer pages. And I liked this newer slightly more mature Harry. He's coming into his own more, which I think will be the whole point of the next book. I can't believe there is only one more left. *snifff* Oh well, I've got another never-ending series to hang onto when the Harry Snotter's are done... the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Now that's the ultimate in freaking long series... where no one ever actually dies... they always come back, and if you don't like the main plot, no sweat, pick any one of the 14 major subplots. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a little, precious little. They are good books, really. But don't bother picking them up until you know he's done... 10 books so far and I can't see them finishing anytime soon.

And now for something completely different... I start school in less than a month. When did this happen? Holy cats! I'm getting excited. I just bought a big pack of my favorite pens. Exciting stuff, I tell you. And only this week and next of working! Yeehaw! I'm almost a 1L!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

um, yeah, that would be my warning about the wheel of time. i started reading those books ten years ago. and they'd been out ten years at that point. so, um, no holding your breath for him to actually get to a stopping point now that he's made a pile.