Wednesday, July 27, 2005

A plug for Mozilla Thunderbird

I love it. Can I tell you just how much I love it. I'm a huge believer in open source software. Thunderbird delivers a viable alternative to the icky Microsuck Outlook. I downloaded it to my school laptop a few months ago with the intention of using it for our family email addresses and eventually my school email. I've been toying with it for the last few weeks and it does everything I need it to do and then some.

The only features that I haven't played with yet are newsgroups, rss feeds, and themes. I'm not really into newsgroups and, for the moment, Bloglines seems to satisfy my rss agregating needs. And themes, meh, i'm happy with the vanilla interface.

And a nod to gmail for enabling their free email accounts with POP3. So I can now retrieve my gmail inside of Thunderbird as well.

I also have the calendar extension. i've been messing around adding imaginary schedules and so forth to it as well as to do items. And it works like a charm. I'm looking forward to giving it a real work out when school starts.

So anyone who is tired of virus problems that are inherent to Outlook, jump ship and try out Mozilla Thunderbird.

And if anyone is using any open source software that might be useful for school, please let me know. I'm always looking for something new to try.

No comments: