Tuesday, August 23, 2005

It's different being a mom in law school

Especially when your child gets croup the night before actual classes start. Oy! And DH started his new job that day too... and I realized that I have not set anything up in the event that she is too sick to go to school and neither Dh nor I can take the day off without major repercussions. So, because I am very lucky, mom is flying in. She flies free, so that helps. but we have ot make it through tomorrow. Which is a very good thing. I had a major panic on Monday and really started thinking that dropping out was the only solution. I mean really, I cant miss class for 4 weeks when she gets RSV this winter. But one day at a time, right? Now I'm trying to make a list of people able to babysit, last minute, in the day time, for a sick child. No, I'm not asking too much.

So, in addition to me feeling terrible for the poor little lamb, not getting any sleep at night, etc... I also had the pleasure of being the first person in my Torts class to get called on. Lovely. Let's say that I didn't do spectacularly well, shall we? The one solace that I have in it is that I hope that means it won't be my turn again any time soon. And that really, I have no where to go but up!

I've been working hard to make each minute at school count so that I can be with DD at home while she's still awake and so far it's going. But there is a part of me that worries I'll find it harder to get good grades. I guess we'll see.

And now for something completely different. I really like my writing class. In a really geeky way, I can't help it, but I do. Ask me if I still feel that way in about 2 months when we have a million assignments and I can't keep up with my other classes.

And to look forward to: Wednesday schedule sucks. Hard. I've got 4 of my 5 classes, 3 of which are the core classes on Wednesdays. I'm going virtually nonstop from 9-4. Sigh. Wish me luck tomorrow; I'm going to need it.

3 comments:

Zuska said...

It is very different. But it is also do-able! My "beginning of 1L Disaster" was all about after-school childcare. My Beloved ended up turning down the first job he was offered, rather than me drop out of law school. I remember it as a very stressful time in my life.

I was also worried that the fact that I kept certain hours Sacred for the sake of my daughters (they're 7 and 9) would negatively impact my law school success. At the end of 1L, that was not the case at all. I think in the end, it forces us mommas to be more focused than our party-hardy counterparts.

I wish you the best!

TechnoBabe said...

Oh goodness! It will get better (at least I ahve been telling myself that 30 times a day lately). Kudos to you for doing it. Very brave! You will find a way to make it work.

Google Page Rank 6 said...

Increase your Adsense Earnings

I noticed you have adsense ads on your page, Would you like to increase your earnings from them, Free and Legitimate way to make your clicks increase.
Come see my Blogger blog and it will tell you more.