Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Thoughts on 1L grades

I don't have them yet, but we are supposedly going to get them in the next week or so. Already people are getting depressed or jumpy or wanting to talk about what they all mean... blah blah blah. Folks... it don't mean a thing. Sure, it might make it more difficult or easier to land one of the 6 1L summer jobs with a nice paying firm. But we all knew coming into law school that there were 6 jobs.

That said, I realized this morning as someone was blathering on that I think I did reasonably well, which is a really dangerous thing to think. I have always said that top 10% is my dream... top 20% will make me ecstaticly happy but anything in the top 50% is realistic... i will only cry if I'm in the bottom half because I worked my butt off. Anyway, I realized that while I have that to hold onto, I've been thinking in terms of specific grades for specific classes lately. Example, I think I got a B+ or an A- in my writing class. But how do you know... and what if I only got a C+... writing is a weird class for me because I feel like there is more pressure because I was a writer before school. Grand scheme of things... I think I can be in the top 50% and have a C+. So it should be OK, but it so doesn't feel OK.

Lesson: find out from someone who knows (i.e., a prof) how to figure out your percentage before you look at your individual grades, if possible. If you have to calculate yourself... make hubby look at grades and calculate first. Sigh. I don't care about grades. I don't care about grades. I don't care about grades. Let's say it altogether now, I don't care about grades....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just ran into your blog. I don't know you, but I know your fear all too well. My advice: Don't worry about your grades. I know plenty of people at the bottom of the class who got jobs with smaller firms that paid. It isn't just the top 50% that get jobs even though first year they convince you that is true. After the bar your class rank becomes almost null and void. In the end the person who graduates last is still called lawyer. (People with A's become professors, People with B's become judges, and People with C's become millionaires.)