Wednesday, July 05, 2006

So if you are a prospective law student mom, and you ask a law student mom what it's like, do you want to hear the truth?

I've been pondering this lately. Our admissions folks routinely send me emails of moms who are interested in law school and want the low down on feasibility. And i've been giving it to them. There are lots of factors, not the least of which is what is your goal and how does that relate to grades. Because frankly, if you want to do a federal clerkship and work for a schmancy firm etc, then being a mom in law school is a whole lot tougher because you really need to be at least in the top 10%. If you don't need top 10%, then no sweat. I generally give a run down of what my 1l schedule was like, how I studied and when and realistically how that affected my family time. I also tell them that without my husbands support with my daughter, I would be dead in the water. Shoudl I not be sharing this? Should I be more encouraging. I mean, I don't feel like I am discouraging; I say repeatedly that a mom can be successful, but it does mean some sacrifice and you have to have your head screwed on straight.

What do you think? Too much honesty is bad? good? I hate to ever think that someone didn't go to law school because I made it seem too hard. But it isn't easy, and while I have enjoyed success, it's been a crap load of work. I would have wanted someone to be honest with me.

5 comments:

Zuska said...

I get some e-mails from moms who stumbled on my blog, and want to know the low down ... I give it to them. I think that at least in one instance, my pontifications about the support of my SO, and all the slack he picks up in order to make this law school experience a positive one for the children and family as a whole was the death knell for a single mom.

You know, there's a similar thing going on with my summer employment - they're trained to give us the rosey side of firm life. I don't WANT the rosey side. I want to know what the impacts will be so I can make an informed decision.

I think people need to know the truth.

Butterflyfish said...

As a mom about to start lawschool (with a husband in iraq BTW) I always preferred the honesty.

If that helps.

That Guy said...

I have no idea how I'd survive in school if I had any real responsibilities other than doing well. My hat goes off you law school moms...

Anonymous said...

I also think honesty is the best policy. Although I'm kind of glad I didn't know then what I know now. I would worry, though, about scaring off single moms. The support of my husband has been crucial, but maybe say that a support system is mandatory -- whether that comes from a husband, parent, sister, child care provider, etc. As far as my experiences go, I think being a mom has only helped me. I don't have 10 hours a night to study -- and freak out -- about classes. I have only a few, so I have to be more productive. And my grades have been far better than I ever thought imaginable.

MelG-F (sorry, i don't have a blogger acct)

mythago said...

A spouse is not necessary, but a support system is. I took evening classes with a single mother of four (!). Her sister helped her a lot with childcare.

I think her situation was much better than that of a married mom whose husband thinks law school is no excuse for him to take on any additional part of household responsibilities.