Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Tales from the Crypt--or a 3L comes up from the rubble

Very nearly. I hadn't realized that it had been that long since I blogged on here. For a moment, as I stared at my last post and its corresponding date, I thought: "but you'll never remember all that you've done in the last year. It's gone." And then I thought, "are you crazy? you'll never remember all of the million things that you've done because it's a blur, and moreover, it was a blur when you were in it.

I intend to start blogging regularly again. Now that I can remember my name, and I see my daughter everyday, you know, when she's NOT just sleeping.

By way of catch up: I had just found out that my note was selected for publication and that I got onto the executive board of my law review. yeah, i can't believe that I was excited about that. That position alone has been the reason that I felt pushed over the edge this year. I had to start last March because our 3Ls crapped out on us. Then I had to work on it all bloody summer in addition to my firm job. I was freaking exhausted. Then last semester, I took the wrong combination of classes and was dramatically over-taxed, leading to really, truly almost getting divorced. No joke. Happily, we have a great counselor and are working through it. I can say with utmost confidence that just being an associate will be so so much easier than this.

I say that with utmost confidence because my summer associate experience was, uh, different than most folks. We worked. A lot. I personally billed as much as 1st and 2nd year associates do. And the firm wants it that way because they want you to know what you are getting yourself into. Now, don't get me wrong, I did go on a fantabulous trip paid for by the firm and won some neato prizes and got the nice moula to reward my hard work, but it was WORK not play. So to have to do that all bloody day and part of the night and THEN work on law review bullshit. Well, let's just say that my summer was non-existent.

That said, I really did like the folks that I worked with and the level of responsibility that they dole out to the younger associates. I really got my hands dirty and was able to decide that I would like to become a UCC-goddess when I grow up. Love it. But then, I know you're all shocked given that you know I'm such a code-girl. So in the end, they offered, I accepted, and I'm waiting for my summer stipend for consideration to be made :)

I tried the clerkship circuit, more than half-heartedly. And I almost got something with my state supremes. BUT I'm a total fucking moron. That's why I didn't get it. Honestly, true confession of a total fucking moron: on the cover letters to two of the Justices, I put the address label to one judge and in the same letter, I said "dear other judge." It's true. See, total fucking moron. And of course, the worst part of that for me is that I just don't make mistakes like that. I really don't. So it was sort of a poor time to decide to do so. In hindsight it's okay because the one hag from my class got a clerkship with one of the state supremes, and honestly, 3 years with her is plenty. I still have one app outstanding on something that I see as a long shot, but you never know.

What else? My note was finally published. It only took a freaking year. Let's just say that our law review board isn't as, urm, harmonious? as one might wish. And there were evidently several folks who ran for the title with no itnentions of actually doing the work.

Because of that, I learned about 3 months ago to say "no." I always felt like if things didn't get done, things that weren't my tasks, that it was somehow still my responsibility to fix it. No longer--at least not for the leaches of law review.

I suppose i sound far more cynical than I once did. Maybe I am moreso now. It's tough to say, I've always been fairly bent toward cynicism.

My wonderful daughter is doing really well. She had a second surgery over my fall break last semester, and has been really very healthy since. It's honestly like a miracle. She's learning to ice skate and ski this winter--total snow bunny. And she is reading now. I had a couple of pictures out a few nights ago from about the time I started school and little one in it. My oh, my. She was really just a toddler then, and now she is starting kindergarten in the fall.

Oh, and just to make it all so shockingly real: I've turned in my bar application, paid my barbri fees (so I don't get screwed and have to take the night class), and signed my "intent to graduate" form. hot damn, I'll be an at er ny soon.

I suppose that's all for now. I'll post a bit about classes and so forth soon. I'm working for a judge right now, who has a psychotic clerk, so that should be some fodder for entertainment. I'll also go through ye olde blogroll soon and update that. it's good to be back

2 comments:

Butterflyfish said...

Yay!
This is why I just move blogs to Retired(?) on bloglines

PT-LawMom said...

Glad to see you back!! Congrats on making it through (especially with your marriage). As for the clerkship and your mistake on the letters, I truly believe things turn out the way they do for a reason.