Monday, April 21, 2008

Done. Forever. No more law school.

It happened this weekend. I turned in my project and finished law review stuff, and then I sat at my little desk for a few minutes and enjoyed the numbness, the doneness. I grabbed my favorite slippers that I had left in my office last year (always bloody cold) and my favorite lotion and left. I'll do the official cleaning out later, but I took what was important to me. And then I got into my car and headed toward my favorite "I've worked the whole ruddy weekend away take out place". And I had a huge smile on my face as I went up the stairs and towards my car.

And then something kind of odd happened on the drive... I started crying. I do NOT cry. And it came bubbling out of me. I frantically wiped at the tears as I drove and tried to figure out if I was having a break down. My conclusion was that they were tears of relief and disbelief. Disbelief because it felt like so many times along the way, i wouldn't make it. The extra emotional energy and time I had to find to deal with my nearly always sick child. The trauma of a marriage in flux. My own mid-life crisis. And then, well, law school is just damn hard.

And now it's done. Nothing left but to walk across the stage without tripping.

Last night, I watched a movie without feeling the guilt of knowing I was procrastinating on something for school. And I loved every minute of it.

The fat lady is singing. I'm done.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Congrats!

PT-LawMom said...

Congratulations, lady! Enjoy every moment of the next few days before graduation. I watched my own mother walk across the stage to receive her undergrad in my early teens and think I was prouder than she was. Your family is/will be probably just as emotional as you are. Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, congratulations. I'm about to begin inthe fall, but already looking forward to this feeling

Kim said...

Congratulations! I am excited for you. And jealous. You certainly deserve a little celebratory cry. Doing this whole thing as a mom is kind of like that old adage about Ginger Rogers doing everything that Fred Astaire did but backwards and in a dress. That's exactly what it feels like sometimes, isn't it?

HippieLawyer said...

Congrats! I have put on a little weight during law school and will be singing for you, and all my graduating friends, both online and in 3D. Good job!