Saturday, May 06, 2006

The last phase of 1L hazing: law review write on

So I have mixed feelings about this whole thing. I am happy that I have more than a shot in hell of getting onto our law review because everyone has to write on. Grades factor in, but no one gets in solely on their grades. After this last round of finals, this is a very good thing for me.

And I had 2 happy restful days between turning in my paper and starting the write on. I watched about 6 episodes of Gilmore Girls, first season; hit major sales for suits and shoes, and generally vegged. Oh, and I reminded my daughter that I am in fact, her mummy.

So the bad thing is that I'm still tired and I don't want to work. But the good thing is that I am not confused. Really, I had this epiphany that I really, truly learned useful things this year that I will really, truly use in everyday practice. The write on is an interoffice memo that LRev gives you like you are an associate; they've done all the research for you. You just have to read through the research, ferret out the red herrings, and write the memo. When you think about it, it's pretty much the same thing that will happen to you as a summer associate... except you will have to do the research too.

In any case, after I read the assignment and read through a few of the cases, while I was and still am a little puzzled about some of the "terms of art" sprinkled throughout these cases (and we are NOT allowed to use a legal dictionary, sigh), I understood the main arguments we would need to make and was able to ignore the stuff that is just background noise. So score one for me. I can take a legal problem, break it down, and apply research to make my point.

I know I'm a sick puppy, but this is kind of fun.

No comments: