Saturday, June 03, 2006

Sick Sick Sick

We're all freaking sick. Argh. My Sister in Law is getting married tonight, so I've got to make nice with people I don't know. All the while there is a snot revolution going on in my head. Sigh. So it is.

I finished my first order at the court this week and was given another order to start. A summary judgment motion with oodles and gobs of facts from both sides to poor through. I still think clerking is the coolest.

On a side note, I watched a hearing before a different judge yesterday... the poor plaintiffs. They thought they had it in the bag because the judge let it go on and on for about 2.5 hours... of which the defendant's counsel spoke only for 15 minutes (thank heavens for that too!). In any case, then the judge goes on and on about how Defendant's are being obnoxious and too strict and not cooperative... blah blah blah. Then in the last 30 seconds he says that unfortunately though, he has no authority over the matter (it was an admininstrative agency) so Plaintiffs lose. Ouch. They never saw it coming. But I give myself some kudos because the whole hearing I kept thinkjing... can this judge override the agency? I don't think so because the Plaintiffs aren't attackign the actual statute the agency is enforcing... just the result of the statute as it applies to them.

Sigh. Good times.

1 comment:

Dagny said...

Good luck with the SJ order. I have spent weeks trying to help fight a SJ order handed down by our judge a few weeks ago. Ugh..