Saturday, April 08, 2006

Meditations on mock trials and trials in general

So, I got to go and participate in a mock trial this last week for some 2 and 3 Ls who playing lawyers. It was actually really cool. And it was the first time that I thought, maybe, just maybe, I can do litigation. Part of this was that of the 4 law students participating, 3 were stellar. Just strong, incredibly bright, and quick-thinking. The last one, well, being nice, not so much. I don't know if it was just nerves, but man the opposing counsel sure seemed to know their stuff much better. And I guess that was apparent to the judge too, who granted the opposing counsel's motion to exclude some rather key testimony that I personally tihnk should have gotten in. But the unprepared guy just was not able to be persuasive. Oh, and temper, temper.

So, major takeaway for all genders there, be prepared, know the law and the depos and everything inside and out.

For the ladies: let's talk presentation. I realize this sounds sexist but short of a guy showing up to court in khakis or bermuda pants, it's hard for them to screw up. I've seen at least two times now where women lose the battle in court before they say a word, and I think they both thought they looked great. Tip 1: If you choose to wear a grey suit. And if you choose to wear one that is "chicly" cut (read: more form fitting that not) and if you choose to wear a blouse that is not meant to be tucked in, you've got to wear a jacket. Seriously, I though this girl was wearing grey jeans at first glance. She looked sloppy. Not chic. And honestly, I never thought I would be one of "those" people, but I had a hard time getting past that for credibility. She looked like she was playing lawyer, not actually a lawyer (or soon to be one). Tip 2: big hair=bad in court. I don't care if you had it done by a "professional" before you showed up to court. If your hair is the first and only thing I notice about you, not good. I observed a federal court proceeding about a month ago where this defense attorney came in and I couldn't a) see her face or b) take her seriously. It was long. It was elaborately curled (think little girl). It was hair sprayed within an inch of it's life and had about a 3 inch vertical from the top of her head to wear her hair stopped.

Throw things at me if you want. I feel like I am betraying the sisterhood, but really get several opinions about your outfit and hair (and not just the saleslady who is trying to make a commission) before you go with "that look". Eek.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, what's sad is that you feel a little bad about, um, offering constructive criticism. Too often do I see women dressing in things that are inappropriate. Men do this, too, but in professional situations, it's hard for them to screw it up.
Every day, a young woman at my school wears those extended tube top contraptions that passes as a top. She's a rather large girl, and every day, I die a little inside because she thinks she looks "cute."