Tuesday, August 29, 2006

How to identify out of state firms to apply to?

There's the obvious list of firms who come to OCI. I am not applying to all of them, like the ones who are only litigation or who have only men and I've heard unpleasant things about their attitude toward women. But after those firms... who else? There's really only one, possibly two, major firms in town who do not come to OCI, so I am going to apply to those separately.

But when I reach the state borders, i am a little less sure of who to apply to. Nalp Directory is a good tool as is infirmation, but you still don't get the bigger picture you could get by talking to people who summered there last year. My school is a regional school with the odd alum working in a big city or city far, far away. So I don't have the alum out of state connection thing so much. My husband has changed his position from definatlely wanting to move out of state to mostly wanting to stay here, unless we can do somethign really cool like move to London. I think that is part of my problem with wanting to apply in the "major" midwest cities like Kansas City or St. Louis or even Chicago; hubby is no longer really down with that. But I have confidence questions about being able to get not only a first interview, but then a second interview and finally a bona fide offer from a local firm. We are a teeny tiny, itty bitty market.

This is why my throat and ears hurt.

No comments: