Saturday, August 26, 2006

A sense of entitlement?

So I've had the first "good" consequences of OCI come my way--a lovely gift in my mailbox from a firm. It wasn't a bad gift, but the letter that accompanied it kind of made my teeth hurt. Hooray for you, your shit doesn't stink. Congratulations on making law review. Ok, so perhaps that is not what is actually said, but that was pretty much the sentiment. I went home and showed my spouse the gift and we were both amazed that just because I made law review some lawyers think i should have a gift. it's an odd world here in the tiny law community.

After the "gift-day", I had an opportunity (read not mandatory but mostly) to hang out with some of the law review board people. First, they were all very nice. Sincerely nice. Which was great. Second, it was surreal. None of them would ever say that they were entitled to anything, but there is already this aura of "I'm going to be rolling in money" around a lot of them. And I think they all know that they are dripping with "smarts." It wasn't unpleasant per se, but it was odd. And I think that what made it seem odd to me was that I was supposed to be a grub-level member of this club. And I'm not sure if I really fit in with that, or if I really want to. I'm sticking with my first thought: it's just odd. Thank heavens they are nice. Otherwise, well I just don't want to think about it.

No comments: