Sunday, January 28, 2007

A mommy law student time out

I took my daughter on a mommy/daughter date yesterday afternoon. Over all, disaster. No, really. Just so bad. The only kid appropriate movie showing in our neck of the woods is Charlotte's Web (because the whole flushed away thing is just too far over the line that I refuse to cross). And it was playing either 1) through lunch or 2) through dinner. Movie theater scheduling morons. In any case, I brought snacks galore and planned to do lunch afterward.

Sigh. Did you know that a G-rated kids movie is almost 3 flipping hours long? Blergh! They could have made it a good 5-10 minutes shorter by getting rid of the whole unbelievable 10 year olds in love story line that kept popping back up. I could have done entirely without Dakota Fanning. But the animals were great. So dauhter is bored and I almost leave with her when there is about a half an hour left, and I totally should have. The end was fabulous, so fabulous, so well-done that my poor sweet-hearted daughter bawled her little eyes out for about 10 minutes after Charlotte dies. Sigh. I totally forgot that she dies. I haven't read the book since I was about10. In any case, I got to spend the next half hour or so telling her why Charlotte died and why it's ok, and how it's not real. "But mommy, do real spiders die when they have babies?" Can I just say that deep discussions about the cycle of life was not on my agenda for our date yesterday.

SO now she is an emotional disaster in addition to being starved and tired at the Chinese Restaurant. I ended up taking all of our food home in containers and cutting our lunch super short. The best part of our date, I think in both of our opinions, was taking a nap together in my bed.

2 comments:

Butterflyfish said...

Best part of the "date" I had with my son today was passing out for a nap on the couch. Snuggles rule!

Kelly said...

The best laid plans.

Must be something in the air - my daughter and I, supposed to be doing homework and work respectively, both fell asleep for a time in her room today.