Saturday, January 20, 2007

A thought on grades and a glimpse at my deranged day dreams

I actually saw my Bankruptcy prof last night and was able to smile politely and make the required small talk for the event we were at. As he walked away though, I couldn't help but wish that I had something to throw at his head. Sigh. This is the first semester that I have had more than one grade that requires curves to make the letter. I like letters without curves. They are pretty those As and A-s. Damn.

And then I sit back and think, wow I am super greedy because one curvy grade (fine it was a B+) was in a class where the whole test was multiple choice, and honestly I don't ever expect to do better than that. And then my bankruptcy class, where there were only about 22-ish kids and of those only 2 or 3 were NOT in the top say 15% of their respective classes. So getting a B+ in there, really, truly, after the horrible experience that was that test . . . it was actually pretty damn lucky.

Sigh. I'll keep my on track status for coif, if just barely. And I will kick it in high gear and find some way to break through the B+ ceiling on my exam that will be once again, all multiple choice. I hate MC tests. Really, truly, what does that indicate about my future abilities as an atty. Is the nice judge going to stop the opposing atty in the middle of the trial and say

"counselor yaya, there is a possible objection to raise here: do you think it is a) irrelevant because we have other photos that provide the same evidence in a less gruesome manner, b) relevant but not probative because this the third similar testimony offered to the court and is a waste of time, c) an objection becaues that information was obtained through statements your client made in negotiation or d) there is no objection because you weren't listening carefully and have no idea to what this witness just testified?"

Counselor yaya: "well Judge, you should know that I've always sucked at multiple choice, so I'm going to have to call in co-counsel to answer this one, in the best interests of my client."

yeah, I might be a little bitter. And I am so not going to be a litigator.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Right. Maybe the judge would let you "poll the jury" before selecting...

HippieLawyer said...

Oh my....you just complained about a B+? What is your school's curve? At mine, a B+ is top 30% and if your average was 3.7 (A-), you would be in the top 3%.

Is your complaining just a way to ensure that everyone who reads this knows you have really great grades? Either way, I have to tell you that these complaints are falling on pretty deaf ears.

You should be happy with what you have. (I have never received an A in a class, and am perfectly happy, and employed!)